A Lowdown on Kitchen Countertops

Choosing the type of kitchen countertop for your home not only has an impact on the look and feel of your kitchen, it also has a dramatic effect on the future value of the property. In this article we will look at the most popular types of kitchen countertops and examine the advantages and disadvantages of each.


Quartz countertop at Principal Garden
Quartz countertop at Principal Garden


One of the most popular and stylish choices, quartz countertops are actually engineered, unlike marble and granite ones. Quartz makes up approximately 93% of a quartz countertop, with the remaining 7% being binder and colour.


  • Extremely tough and durable
  • Non-porous meaning that it is an extremely hygienic surface that is also resistant to staining
  • Comes in a wide range of colours and patterns, so easy to match with existing styling
  • Doesn’t need to be sealed (unlike natural stone)
  • Scratch resistant and far less likely to chip than other stone countertops


  • Not as heat resistant as some surfaces, so users will need to protect the countertop from very hot pots and pans
  • Are relatively expensive compared to other countertops
  • Surface will fade if subjected to long term direct sunlight



Granite Counter Top
Island with Granite Countertop



Granite kitchen countertops are widely considered the most attractive ones available. They do need sealing properly, and the following assumes that that has been done before use, and if needed during its lifetime.


  • Extremely elegant and attractive
  • Very strong and durable
  • Scratch resistant
  • Heat resistant
  • Stain resistant and easy to clean


  • This natural stone does come in several different hues and colours, but the range is limited compared to non-natural surface options
  • As mentioned, these do need sealing correctly to prevent staining and to ensure they are resistant to bacteria
  • Can chip if hit by heavy objects



Tables with marble top
Tables with marble top


This elegant material – used on such ancient masterpieces as Michelangelo’s David – is a design classic with a very distinctive look. The colour of marble differs depending on what part of the world it comes from, and also comes in a choice of finishes.


  • One of the most beautiful countertops available
  • Each piece of marble is unique
  • Extremely durable
  • Heat resistant


  • Like granite, it is porous so needs to be properly sealed and cleaned to avoid staining
  • Is subject to scratching
  • Can chip if hit by heavy objects
  • Acidic materials such as lemon or even tomato juice can etch the surface is left unwashed
  • Is one of the most expensive surfaces available



Solid surface counter top
Solid surface countertop

Solid Surface

Fairly new on the market, these are made from acrylic, and are an extremely popular choice in re-modelling projects.


  • Extremely hard and durable
  • Available in a very wide range of colours and patterns
  • Non-porous, so easy to clean and maintain
  • Are not as expensive as the stone countertops


  • Can be scratched, though because they are solid colour, scratches can be sanded out
  • Not particularly heat resistant, so will need to be protected from hot pots and pans



Wood Countertop
Wood Countertop

Butcher Blocks and Wood

Despite the emergence of modern materials, wooden kitchen countertops are still a popular choice and a favourite among chefs and people who love to cook. It is often used in conjunction with other surfaces, for example food preparation areas such as an island would use wood, while areas around a sink or stove would be stone.


  • Has a very warm and inviting look
  • Ideal for cooking and baking
  • Though they are subject to scratches, this often adds to their appeal, and can also be easily repaired
  • Easy to clean
  • Do not chip or crack


  • Require sealing after fitting and periodically over their lifetime
  • Long term exposure to water can damage the countertop, so not ideal use for around sink areas





All new condos purchased directly from developers are provided with high quality kitchen countertops, below are a list of developments that provide top notch fittings and quality finishings,



Upcoming new launches