Development of Yishun Estate
Originally known as Nee Soon, Yishun is a suburban town located in the northern part of Singapore. Yishun housing estate development was started in 1976. It was developed as part of the Housing Development Board’s project – ‘Remarking Our Heartland’. The other estates developed under the project were Dawson Estate and East Coast. The Yishun estate consists of Yishun New Town and residential estate, which consists of apartments, flats and community facilities such as a medical center, community centers, shopping mall, clubs, parks and gardens.
Yishun is best described as a family-centered town. It provides you with all necessary amenities for a luxury, comfortable living for any age group or income group. The estate is surrounded by a natural surrounding that consists of several leisure and recreational parks, including Yishun Park and Lower Seletar Reservior.
Yishun town is planned with a comprehensive set of modern facilities to cater to the needs of the present and future generation. The facilities include schools, libraries, shopping malls, market, sports facilities, community clubs and parks – all of which are important in ensuring a livable, self-sufficient town. Though the project has initiated several years back, it started with the vision for the future, elaborating the essence of a modern Singapore.
Further, establishment of the following additional facilities are planned for the next phase of the estate development:
- A centralized transportation hub will be established in the town center, consisting of a bus interchange point, community club, town plaza and a shopping mall.
- Additional childcare facilities for working parents.
- A large school for foreign education system which is to be established at Yishun Avenue 6
- Retail shops, restaurants and open dining areas to be established closer to each apartment lot. A hawker center will be established closer to the Yishun Park.
- A community hospital and two nursing homes to serve elderly residents.
Yishun residential estate is being serviced by an efficient transportation network. Train and bus services run on an integrated schedule, allowing the residents to use any mode of public transport as they need. The mobility of traffic is facilitated by a well organized road traffic system that covers both broad and narrow roads. For residents travelling by train, Yishun is well served by Yishun MRT (NS 13) and Khatib MRT (NS 14) railway stations, both built above the ground level, which are part of the North-South route and serves Yishun New Town.
There are ample educational facilities inside the Yishun estate itself. Following are some of the most reputed primary, secondary and tertiary educational institutes in the area:
- Ahmad Ibrahim Primary School
- Huamin Primary School
- Jiemin Primary School
- Chongfu Primary School
- Ahmad Ibrahim Secondary School
- North View Secondary School
- Northbrooks Secondary School
- Northland Secondary School
Tertiary education institutes
- Yishun Junior College
- ITE College Central
- SAF Education Centre
Below are some of the upcoming new condo launches in Yishun,